Friday

Vezzo Pizza

This is the new place on Lexington and 31st that rose from the ashes of the previous pizzeria. The old place was frightening looking and did horribly because of the raunchy smells and nasty look of the place.

Vezzo is a breath of fresh air, and I must tell you its the best pizza in a 6-8 block radius...and I've tried pretty much all there is to try in this neighborhood. The crust is thin and pliant but crunchy too. The toppings are really good. The place is comfortable and attractive as well.

I've had it plain, with pepporoni, with hot italian sausage & pepperoni (they also have sweet sausage), with carmelized onions and prosciutto and most recently a pesto pizza with prosciutto. Really and truly good pizza.

I thought all was lost for pizza above Spring Street. My other favorites are Adrienne's on Stone Street and Lombardi's. I think this is somewhere in between the two...with Adrienne's being a touch more interesting and Lombardi's being not consistent enough and with awful toppings. Blech, the toppings at Lombardi's are really bad.

Service can be great or it can be mediocre. I ordered one pie 1/2 carmelized onions and prosciutto and 1/2 pepperoni and sausage. We got the first half right, but the second half for some reason was pineapple. I called them back and they brought a whole new pie over in about 15 minutes.

The other day I ordered the pesto pizza before going to the NYSC across the street for a quick 30 minute run. I told the guy my plans and asked if he could put the order in in about 15 minutes so that it'd be hot when I got out of the gym. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. He said okay...but it wasn't. The pizza was clearly waiting around for a good 10 minutes...which was still fine...I just reheated in my oven at home...but he lied to me and said it just came out a few minutes ago (more like 10+).

But the pizza is good.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been to Vezzo, but I have been to their other restaurants, Posto and Gruppo. Try bacon as a topping. I get that everytime I go - in fact, I have some leftovers in my fridge right now. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home