Monday

Salute, April 14, 2006

Salute

I've been to Salute about five times now during the course of the last five years. This place is a goldmine. An affordable (though the prices have gone up quite a bit over the years) place for lunch in a section of town that desperately lacks good lunch options, this Italian has a strange fetish for, of all things, paper. Yes, paper. In no other restuarant that I've come across are paper and pens more readily available.

This is great for someone like me who likes to take notes about my food once in awhile, but I just can't fathom why they put mini, lined paper pads on each table with their logo emblazoned on the front. Perhaps they love their logo? Or maybe they bought so many business cards, they offered to throw in some pads as well? I don't know but it is strange.

What's not strange...but rather consistent, is the fare they serve. There are no strict regions represented here (this is not Alto nor L'Impero or Maremma) and the food is very approachable, lacking many "fancier" (foreign?) ingrediants.

I doubt that something like ramps has ever graced the menu at this restaurant. But that's not a bad thing. If you want a good caesar salad, a good pasta dish or safe bets on seafood...Salute will work just fine for you.

This is the fanciest dish I've ever ordered at Salute. It's salmon with pesto risotto, capers (top right) and a olive and sun-dried tomato paste-like spread on top. I think I also ordered the salad on this trip.

The place is large enough to pretty much never need a reservation. The bar room alone would make some restaurants below 14th street envious.

Service is fine, if not predictable. The hostesses are pleasant enough, though often forgetful/harried.

An ideal lunch spot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home