Thursday

Crif Dogs, April 5, 2006

Crif Dogs
113 St. Mark's Place

I met up with my friend Jeff tonight at the Living Room in the LES to see one of his clients, Dayna Kurtz, perform. Having a ton of other stuff to do, I missed her performance, but was still able to hang out with Jeff for a few beers.

Afterwards, I took a cab home, but decided to stop off at St. Mark's Place where I'd get a burger from Paul's. I bagged that idea (I'd been burgered out lately and was saving myself for the Shake Shack) and headed over to Crif Dogs to see what that was all about.

I walk in - to the left is an old school arcade game, a drunk couple next to it and occasionally playing the game. To the right is a tiny television playing The Rocky Horror Picture Show. And directly in front of me is a goth chick with an infectious smile.

Having never been here before, but completely excited (Rocky Horror, Hot Dogs and a slight buzz - It was like I was time warped back to 1989!) about the prospect...I asked my hostess, we'll call her Magenta, what to order.

The drunk girl two tables over said I had to get the Chihuahua dog, which is a bacon wrapped smoked hot dog covered with avocado and sour cream. The menu, where this is listed suggests to "Trust Us". I did.

And it was very, very, very good. Surprisingly so, I confess. The drunk girl, seeing that my dog was being delivered asked "So what'd ya go with?". I responded and her reply was "You damn right you did.". Classic. As was the dog.

To keep things fair and real - I ordered another dog...this time a traditional Crif Dog with relish and mustard...and sorry to those traditionalists, ketchup. It's just how I roll.
And it too was good.

So after 2 dogs, a Pabst Blue Ribbon in a can, some of my favorite call-outs on Rocky Horror (Hey Brad, kick something flat and wet and not Janet!), I went home and slept quite well having such a fun experience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

I've been interested in trying Crif Dogs forever!....but I'm not really into hot dogs.

...But you're making me wanna go. I hope I don't have to watch Rocky Horror though; I kinda really dislike that movie. >__<

3:32 PM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

Hi Robyn,

I just recently got "back into" hotdogs. Wasn't a fan of them either. These are pretty good though.

As for Rocky Horror...I don't think its on regularly.

I happen to love it (its one of my stranger secrets), but that's another blog.

Nice to here from ya as always!

MM

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home