Saturday

Il Laboratorio del Gelato and Teany, Mar. 25, 2005

Il Laboratorio del Gelato
95 Orchard Street




Danna just loves gelato. Ever since her first business trip to Milan, she's talked about how good the gelato over there was and how different and underwhelming the gelato was here in NYC. So having read about Il Laboratorio del Gelato on another blog somewhere as well as on Chowhound, I decided to make a date of it.

So on Friday, we headed on down to the Lower East Side and found ourselves at the tiny lab across the street from the Tenement Museum.

We ordered the "smaller" medium cups and got the following:

Danna
Honey Lavendar gelato
green tea gelato

Me
Mint Chip gelato
White Chocolate Chip gelato

Not only were all four excellent in texture, flavor, color and smell, they really went together well with one another.

I'm not really sure which one was the best, but I think the Honey Lavendar was the most sublime of the all. Really a great dessert. The chips in the Mint Chip had a perfect crunch to their perfectly cut size. The chunks of white chocolate in the W.C. gelato was just the right amount and wasn't overkill either.

It must have been 40 degrees with a pretty cool breeze the day we had these and we still enjoyed them immensely walking down the recently rained on streets of the LES.

I can't wait to go back to try their sorbets and the fresh mint gelato. Yum.



As we walked around with our gelatos, and getting quite cold because of the drop in temperature plus the fact that we were eating frozen, flavored milk, we walked by Teany, Moby's Tea Shop. The place was overflowing with the stereotypical LES inhabitants. And I literally mean overflowing. People were outside sitting down, hanging out all around both the main store entrance as well as that of the take out nook. I went ahead and got the #11, a Chinese Annam (?)black tea of some kind or another. It was the tall, female barista's favorite, of the black teas, so I went for it. It was actually very good and a safe bet for those newer to such a long list of tea options. Quite a big, warm (but nearly immediately drinkable) to-go cup of some tasty tea. No sign of Moby, but then again, I didn't look hard enough. A perfect pick-me-up on such a rotten day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

I've been wanting to try Il Laboratorio for a while, even passed it once and eyed the hoard of happy customers inside, but I just haven't been in the mood. That honey lavender flavor sounds awesome...perhaps after this crappy weather clears up I'll go there. :)

I've only been to Teany once but I must've been lucky as it wasn't bursting at the seams with tea lovers. I liked the atmostphere (I don't know anything about tea; I drank whatever my friend ordered) but would only want to go if it weren't crowded.

I'm going to have to read your blog on a regular basis. I have a food blog also. NYC has too much food, dammit.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

I went back to Il Laboratorio del Gelato with James and Mandy during their visit to New York. I can happily report that the mint chip and hazelnut gelato are simply excellent.

If you haven't been here yet...what are you waiting for?!?!?

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home